Monday 6 September 2010

Alisons race report...Major respect for finishing!!!

“Keep moving” was the motto of the day as Ann and I embarked on our trip to Glasgow for the Great Scottish Run 10K. After parking the car up at a location equidistant from the start and finish lines, we enjoyed a leisurely walk through the streets leading to the muster area at George Square.
The atmosphere was electric and everyone was brimming with enthusiasm. The weather conditions were perfect - not too warm or cool, light cloud keeping the sun from beating down and a wispy, refreshing breeze.
We were feeling slightly pleased with ourselves that our plans were fruitful - plenty of time to prepare and warm up, but not too long that we were hanging around cooling down again. We were prepared, we were raring to go, we were on time - everything was going to go well …
We crossed over the start line 7mins after the official start and the first kilometre passed fairly quickly, especially good since the hill was pretty steep for 300m. The 2nd kilometre was a mix of downhill and level, and a bending hill started off the 3rd kilometre onto the Kingston Bridge. Most will agree that this is one of the highlights of the route, running on a closed off section of the busiest part of the M8, crossing over the River Clyde with excellent city views either side. As the incline levelled off, I commented to Ann that I was feeling pretty good and that “things are going great, we’ll definitely beat our PB”. Ha, how soon I spoke. 200m into 4K I managed to fall, tripping over a loop of wire. Ann quickly scooped me up off the ground and over to the side as runners behind me tried to move out the way and carry on. My hands were stinging, my right knee was badly cut, my left knee was scraped and I was embarrassed. I told Ann to carry on and I’d catch up - how that was going to happen I do not know! She said no, she was staying with me - what a loyal friend. Or maybe it had something to do with the fact I had the car key and her means to get home!!
I assessed the damage (no major bleeding), rubbed my rapidly tightening right calf and made the decision to carry on - keep moving. I intended to finish - she wasn’t getting off that lightly!
Starting off with a gentle jog, we gradually increased the pace over 100m to run round the uphill bend and downhill off the bridge to the 4K marker. Pretty flat straight for the next kilometre, passing by Scotland Street School to the water station for a welcome drink and splash on the hands and knees to cool down. Round the corner gradual uphill for 400m and straight again to 6K. There was a First Aid point across the road from the 6K marker - did I need to go? Felt OK, pace was steady with no niggles and cut was drying up - keep moving. We worked out that our “out time” was about 3 minutes (after I suggested 10), so we agreed to take that off our actual finish time for a more realistic result.
It was nice to catch up on, and overtake, the many people who had passed by us at the cursed bridge. This was the boost I needed as 6-7K is always the hardest point in a 10K for me - you’re past halfway but you still have quite a bit to go. This is when we start playing the pushing game - run to the next bin, we’ll walk at the next hill etc. At 6.5K we decided that we would slow down to a walk (only our 2nd walk of the race) at the bin halfway up the approaching hill, only to be pleasantly surprised that the route went round a left corner before the hill. And the road round the corner was straight and flat. Keep moving. 7-9K seemed to go remarkably easy and quick (?), although the sun did threaten to ruin things just before the 8K mark by making a brief appearance. This was quickly followed by a light cloud and a cool breeze, which was very welcomed - many sighs of relief could be heard round about us.
About 300m after the 9K marker the route brings you back over the River Clyde (minus the stunning views). You know you’re nearly there, you can hear the crowds cheering in the park, the Radio Clyde commentary blasting through the speakers. This is where you slow down to catch your breath for the home run. 30seconds was all it took, plus, strangely enough, my leg hurt when I slowed down but was fine running. Keep moving, not long to go now. Although we had resigned ourselves to the fact that we weren’t going to beat PB this time, we still had to finish in a respectable time. And so entering the park, your legs want to go, you see the finish line and that clock with the time creeping up and up, every second counts. Approaching the last 100m, sprint, go on, do it, keep moving, keep moving.
Official finish time 1h2m51s; glad we finished. Thanks Ann - my best running partner.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Alison for the run and the race report (and for getting one of Ann too!). You both did so well.

    ReplyDelete